Sunday 3 April 2011

BLOG 46

I have been teaching a course at Alston Hall, near Longridge, this weekend, at the invitation of the Shoreline quilters. Alston Hall is a lovely old house, well situated in its own peaceful and extensive grounds (sounds like estate agent jargon!!), and it is owned and run by Lancashire County Council. Ours was a full residential course, attended by my lovely quilting chums, and some have been with me for the 15 years I have been going there to teach. Obviously I am not flogging them hard enough to put them off!!

They certainly work hard (and dare I say eat hard?) whilst they are there, sewing above and beyond the timed sessions scheduled by the college. Although a theme is chosen for the workshop and the requirements list circulated, the sessions are flexible and people can bring their own work if they wish. Accommodation is good, the food is excellent, and the teaching environment is spacious and well equipped. I just love going there!

These are the variety of subjects I have taught over the past 15 years:

1997 Aspects of appliqué

1998 Easy Curved seams

1999 Through the Garden Gate

2000 Rose Windows

2001 Machine Trapunto

2002 The Lucky Dip Quilt

2003 Hearts and Gizzards Quilt*

2004 Snowball quilt

2005 Reversible Log Cabin

2006 Positive and Negative Appliqué

2007 Poppy landscape

2008 Painting with fabric

2009 Mosaic Flowers

2010 Log Cabin sampler and Still life

2011 Dual Image Appliqué samples shown below



Flower wheel cushion: frame

Flower wheel cushion: fillers


Swirling Swallows: Frame

Swirling Swallows: Fillers

The Flower Wheel cushions were fairly simple with large shapes and gentle curves, suitable for the less experienced. But the Swirling Swallows panels were much more complex and not for the faint hearted. I’m proud to say that over half the class had a go at these and, when I see some of the results, I will include them in a later blog.

I am already looking forward to next year when we will be doing Memorabilia boxes and fabric landscapes. Here is an example of such a box, one that I made for my friend Kate’s 60th birthday. Fancy me having friends over 60!! I realise that I too am over 60 but, as they are all so much more sensible than I am, they always appear to be older than me. I shall hold onto that thought!!!

Kate’s box

Kate's Box - Detail

*Apologies for banner abberation - I can't seem to change it!

No comments:

Post a Comment