Monday 25 April 2011

BLOG 49

This Sunday I fly to America, from Manchester to Chicago. I over-night there and then carry on to Paducah the next day. Both the cases are packed, a huge one full of teaching samples and larger quilts, a small one with clothes and the like. The size of one compared to the other illustrates exactly what I deem to be important for this trip! QUILTS! Although I will be ‘poshed’ up more than usual, I have chosen everything to mix and match and interchange. I know it will be fairly hot and humid there so I look forward to air conditioning and a gentle breeze from the Ohio River.





Little and Large

Last Sunday I had a birthday and spent a lovely day with family and friends, dining and chatting and laughing; what more could you want? My best chum has her birthday on the same day so we are usually try to be together to celebrate it. Mid-week, I held an impromptu picnic in the garden for with another couple of quilting friends, one of who was celebrating her birthday. We took advantage of the lovely spring weather and warm sunshine. Our mutual friend made each of us a lovely cushion using a vintage design. They are both charming, with appliqué and decorative stitching on tasteful linen. Mine is pink, the other was blue. We both loved them and say she ought to go into business!







Birthday cushion

This is the classy label that accompanied it.





Cushion label

As you can imagine, there has been much on my mind this week with all the preparations going on. So I have been calmly sewing a UFO design in order to think about this trip and jot down what I must not forget to remember not to forget to remember … you know what I mean!
The project is a teaching sample that I designed and taught a couple of years ago. It is fairly mundane sewing but, as it needed finishing, I used the exercise for relaxation and a chance to think. It worked! The stitching is complete and the cases are packed, with nothing is forgotten……one hopes!




Buttonhole appliqué





Stitch detail

When travelling, I love it when you get to the stage where nothing more can be done. This starts when you close the front door and watch the house disappearing in the rear-view mirror and it complete by the time you are airside of the terminal and liberated from your luggage.
I will probably miss a couple of weeks but do look in again to check how Paducah went and what I got up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment