Sunday 3 June 2012

BLOG 101


This is what I have been concentrating on this week, slumped for hours over my sewing machine, in what turned out to be a feat of endurance! I wanted to finish my quilting by the end of May and to do that I had to put in the hours. I have yet to construct the Negative version but I am p[leased so far with the results. It is on schedule to be shown in the Gresford show in a couple of weeks’ time.



    

Jacobean Positive             


 Jacobean Negative



And now for the next part of the Memorabilia box.



MEMORABILIA BOX Part 2

OTHER REQUIREMENTS



SEWING THREAD: to closely match the outer fabric

EMBROIDERY THREAD: 3 or 4 skeins to pick out the colours of the outer fabric

NEEDLES: sturdy, I don't use a curved needle but you may like to try one

THIMBLE: to protect the finger (I use a leather one)

SCISSORS: large, for cutting batting, fabric and thread

GLUE: fabric to card: a large glue stick (eg Pritt); card to card: PVA fabric glue

CLOTH: in a plastic container to wipe hands

OLD MAGAZINE: to make a gluing surface

PENCIL

CLOTHS PEGS: about 12



PREPARATION



1 Iron the fabric well to make sure there are no creases, use steam if necessary. Remove the selvages.






Fabric and batting



2 Put the ‘middle lid’ (the largest piece of card) to one side, there is no batting on this piece.



3 Stick batting onto all the pieces of card, making sure you don’t cover the labels. Apply a line of glue around the edges of the card, about ½” in width. Put a few dab in the middle of the card and smooth the batting onto it. Trim right up to the edge of the card.  



TIP: If you are a messy gluer, do your sticking on an old magazine. You can turn over each page as you go so that no glue gets on your fabric to stain it.






Trim right to the edge




Visible label



4 Cut a piece of lining fabric at 4” x 20” for the hinge and put this to one side.



5 Separate the side linings (4), base lining and lid lining from the other pieces. Cut out a piece of lining fabric for each of these pieces. Make sure there is 1” of spare fabric around the outside edge.




Prepare the fabric



6 Put the lid top to one side; this will be decorated once the box has been constructed.



7 Cut out a piece of outer fabric for each of the outer sides (4), the outer base and the middle lid, making sure there is 1” of extra fabric round the outside edge.



8 Keep all the pieces of fabric with the appropriate card, ready for the next stage.




Fabric with card



2 comments:

  1. The Jacobean piece is gorgeous. It looks so intricate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggi.
      It is intricate and I wonder why I had to make it in the first place! The method is the one I use in my Dual Image book. It is a quilt that has been in my head for many years and on paper for a 15 months. I have worked on it for ages now, with thinking gaps in between, when I sit and just look at it and work out what the next stage is going to be.
      Although it has not been without its problems, I am very proud of the finished results.
      Dilys

      Delete