Sunday 27 May 2012

BLOG 100


HAPPY BLOGDAY TO ME, HAPPY BLOGDAY …. You can guess the rest!!!!

Now that I have reached the milestone of my 100th blog, it makes me wonder what I have had to say of interest for the past 99. I know there are regular followers out there and it is for you that I sit down at the computer each Sunday (even when the weather is glorious like today!) and try to come up with something fresh and worthy of sharing. Periodically, I look at other quilting blogs but quickly get bored with the recipes, in-depth family information, pet ponderings, household revamping and so on. So I decided early on to keep my humble mutterings strictly on quilting lines. Let me know if you agree, it would be good to chat to some of you out there.

This week I need to start a Memorabilia box as a gift for an Aunt who will be 90 in a couple of weeks. In Blog 91, I showed the one I made for my brother and his wife for their 40th Wedding Anniversary. Blog 92 shows the ones that resulted from my WE workshop at Alston Hall and Blog 95 shows the box I made for a friend’s 60th birthday. So I have perhaps whetted your appetite enough to have a go for yourself?  Here’s the start of the workshop and there will be more next time.



THE MEMORABILIA BOX 10 ½” x 8 ½”

Cut out the following pieces accurately from neutral mount board (available at art/craft shops). You will need just over 1 sheet. Measure and draw them accurately first with a ruler and pencil, label them clearly and then cut them out with a craft knife or rotary cutter.





REQUIREMENTS



CARD



OUTER BASE: 1 at 10 1/2" x 8 1/2"

OUTER SIDES: 2 at 4" x 10 1/2"

                             2 at 4" x 8 1/2"

BASE LINING: 1 at 10 3/8" x 8 3/8"

SIDE LININGS: 2 at 10 1/4" x 3 3/4"

                             2 at 8 1/4" x 3 3/4"

MIDDLE LID: 1 at 11 1/4" x 9 1/4"

LID TOP: 1 at 10 1/2" x 8 1/2"

LID LINING: 1 at 10 1/2" x 8 1/2"



FABRIC



OUTER FABRIC: 3/4 yard

LINING FABRIC: 1/2 yard

BATTING: 1/2 yard, low loft



On the mount board, use a sharp pencil to mark accurately shapes as detailed above. Measure twice and then label each piece of card before cutting.  There are 13 pieces of card.       

 
Accurate marking

Cut out each piece with a rotary cutter and ruler or a craft knife and ruler. The outer base and 4 outer sides should fit accurately together to form the structure of the box (5 pieces).



Outer base and sides

There is a slight margin of error with the lining pieces (5 pieces).



Lining pieces

The lid is made up of 3 pieces.



Lid pieces



5 comments:

  1. Hi Dilys, first let me say that I really enjoy reading your blog your discussions about how you create your beautiful work. Thank you for sharing the pattern for the memorabilia box. The light just went on for me. My brother is getting married in July and I MAY just have time to make him one of these! When you say "mount board", I wonder what we'd have here in Canada similar. Is it a heavy card stock, perhaps what we call "bristol board" that is used for making posters and school projects?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria
    Thanks for getting in touch. I'm glad I have inspired you to make a weding gift; it will be greatly appreciated.
    In the UK, mount card is used for framing art work as in 'mounting' to surround a picture. It is robust and takes some effort to cut through it; you wouldn't be able to cut it with scissors for example. Ask your art supply shop what they would recommend. I don't know bristol board so can't advise on whether it is suitable. I hope this is helpful.
    Dilys

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Canada, you can get it at Michael's or an art supply and they call it Mat Board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info ladies, this was very helpful. It was hard to tell from the photos how thick it was, and my original examples would have been far too flimsy for this project, as I realized when I thought about it later. I'll have a look to see if I can find mat board locally.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for helping Maria find the right card Kate. It needs to be strong to hold the structure of the box.

      Delete