Sunday 13 May 2012

BLOG 98


My ‘Wall to Wall’ (or Wal i Wal) exhibition has now been hung in the Ucheldre Centre in Holyhead on the island of Anglesey. The quilts will be on show until June 5th, and the opening times are from 10 to 5 daily, 2 to 5 on Sundays. Eunice Lord teaches quilt-making classes at the centre and her students’ work is displayed in the main hall. Go and have a look if you are in the area.



Poster 

You have no idea how much disruption there is for me when getting ready for an exhibition. Firstly I have to locate all my quilts from bags, cupboards, under beds, and around the house (I’m not programmed to be organised so quilts just get stuffed where there is room to store them!). Then I need to assess whether they are good enough for display and the inevitable scrutiny; most quilts are better viewed from a distance! As well as quilts for display, I need to take enough quilts to make my lecture for the Open Evening visually interesting. Three full bags is a good. I had an exhibition and lecture in the same place 2 years ago and people have a memory and photographic evidence so I need to hang and show different work. No pressure there then!



Quilts


More quilts
 

Even more quilts

 There are quilts on the floor, on the sofa and over the bed. Even Willow gets in on the act, although I am not sure what message I am supposed to glean from her grooming her nether regions like that. I have always said that wadding is magnetic to cats; they always find it, whether it is in a bag, stored on a shelf or sandwiched in a cushion or quilt. Here is an over-view of the exhibition.
 

Exhibition 1


 Exhibition 2



Exhibition 3 

And this is what the stage looks like at the end of my talk. The big bags are empty, Eunice and I are holding up the last two wall hangings and the stage is just littered with quilts. Showing slides or giving a power point presentation is a poor substitute for showing the actual quilt. They are colourful and tactile and they need to be on display!

Job done!

 More on the signature quilt next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment