Sunday 8 July 2012

BLOG 106


The first Linus quilt top was completed on Sunday night. I find that working for a couple of hours in an evening rather suits me. I’m not a habitual TV watcher, especially early evening, so from 7-9 I am usually in my studio enjoying myself and getting on with things. Rog records any programmes that I might be interested in and we sit down later to view the programmes, without the intrusion of those wretched adverts.



We have had the painters in this week to do the vaulted ceilings and walls of the lounge and kitchen. The thought of it had out-faced us for the last couple of years and it was a mammoth job that desperately needed doing. They arrived on Tuesday for 3 days and that gave me another excuse to disappear into my room. As soon as the scaffolding went up, we were satisfied that this was not a DIY job. The music, loud enough to make your ears bleed, went on as soon as they arrived and was turned off as they left. I have to admit that I had never heard of Magic Radio before but I knew many of the songs from the 60s and 70s and I could even sing along!!



LINUS QUILTS: Most of the Linus quilts tops are based on 2 ½” and 6 ½” cut squares and 2 ½” strips. It is basic rotary cutting and accurate ¼” seam allowances. An iron is an essential part of the construction process, for smoothing the fabric prior to cutting, for settling the stitches after sewing and establishing the direction of the seam allowances. As soon as my sewing machine is switched on, the iron goes on too; it is like a stimulus/response mechanism.



The first 3 quilts are made from fabric given to me by Chester Ps & Qs.



 


                              Linus 1



 


                              Linus 2



 


                              Linus 3



These next 2 quilts are constructed from a jelly roll, with larger squares added from fabric in stock.



 


                                Linus 4



 


                                  Linus 5


I don’t know about you but I still have UFOs in my cupboard from years ago, when I was teaching full time. The next 2 quilts have been made using teaching samples. They must be early quilts as the piecing is none too special but they don’t look too bad ….. from a distance!



 


                                    Linus 6



 


                            Linus 7

 So I have achieved this week what I mentally started out to do, to make a daily quilt top for the Linus Project. Rather than burn myself out with the effort, I am quite energised by the experience. It reminds me of the ground I used to cover when I was working at my busiest, with 7 classes of 12 ladies every week and travelling lectures and workshops at the weekends. Just how did I do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment