Sunday 9 September 2012

BLOG 115


As mentioned in my last week’s blog, I went to the Great Northern Quilt Show in Harrogate. It was a great day out and the quilt show lived up to my expectations. You may recall that I entered my quilt Dual Image Jacobean.


 

                      Dual Image Jacobean
 I was thrilled to learn that I had won the Sue Belton Cup which is a perpetual award for the best quilt in Region 13 of the Quilters’ Guild. My name will eventually be added to the list of illustrious quilters from this region who have won it before me. I am also quietly satisfied that this pair of quilts has been acknowledged in a competition.

ASIDE: It was rather poignant reminder of the time that I judged my first quilt show with Sue Belton and Irene MacWilliam in marquees in the grounds of Nostell Priory. Sue had just been diagnosed with cancer. Being new to judging, we were all petrified beforehand but were able to put each other at ease and eventually enjoy a very strenuous day.


 


                                        Sue Belton Cup

Annoyingly, I forgot to take my camera and I only bought one piece of amazing batik fabric because I wasn’t looking for anything in particular for a project. There was so much to view quilt-wise that shopping time was limited anyway. I particularly loved the Gail Lawther quilts from her new book ‘Glimpses of Britain’; there are many techniques involved and lots of original ideas.
 

 

 
                                         Batik
Texturing continues on the Vases wall hanging. As this is a practice piece, it gives me the freedom to play so I am trying different textures on the vases, changing the value (lightness/darkness) and the colour of the thread as appropriate.
 

 


                                              Stippling

 
                                    Vertical lines
I have covered the largest vase with scrolls, working one side turquoise and the other blue, as dictated by the fabric. Then, in a bid to add further depth to the blue, I have added more scrolls with a variegated thread. Finally, across the whole vase, I have added extra scrolls with a purple thread to bring out the colour in the fabric. More next week.


 


                                               Scrolls

 
                                           Threads

 
                                      Detail

ASIDE: A momentous event in our family life this week has been the arrival of a new Granddaughter on the 5th.  Weighing in at 6lb 2oz she is called Katie Eve. (She’s a little poppet, isn’t she Jackie?) Her parents opted not to know in advance what they were having so it was a lovely surprise for them and for us. Naturally I feel a quilt coming on now … just what, I’m not sure yet.

 
                                 Katie Eve Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment