Sunday 23 September 2012

BOG 117


I have continued with the vases wall hanging this week and, rather than bordering and binding it, I decided to do the turn-through method again. This gives a really tight and tidy edge and means that I don’t have to prepare and hand sew a binding strip which has to be good! No stitches are seen on the back of the quilt unless you add more after the backing has been added. It is a great way to finish smaller quilts.

To recap on this brilliant method, I cut a backing piece exactly the same size as the trimmed picture. About 2” from the top edge and 3” in from each side, I stick a strip of 1” fusible to the wrong side of the backing fabric. I use a rotary cutter to cut down the middle, leaving about 1” at each end. The backing fabric is then pinned right sides together on top of the picture.  


 

                        Prepared backing
Sew round the outside edge with a constant seam allowance (I use 1/2”), trim across the corner and turn right sides out.


 

                                   Turn RS out

Use an iron to settle the edge (this only applies to cotton wadding!) so that none of the backing fabric shows on the front.



 


                                     Iron the edge

Remove the paper backing from the strip of fusible and match the cut edges of the fabric (it helps if it is a patterned backing). Use an iron to stick the fusible to the batting and to hold the cut edges together. 


 


                                    Fuse the edges

Prepare and hand sew a sleeve over the fused edges on the back.
 
                                       Add a sleeve
And here is the completed picture.


                               Wall hanging
At Chester Ps & Qs this week we were reminded about our planned exhibition next year in Chester Cathedral. This has given me a sense of purpose for my creative skills and I am now anxious to plan and create something relevant for this exhibition. The first step is a visit to the Cathedral to collect some images by drawing and with photography. I had a wonderful couple of hours there and here are some examples of what I came back with. Next week I will try to talk my way through my creative process from pictures and sketches to a workable design. No pressure there then!


 
                                             Stone

 
                          Marble


 


                                            Metal

       Traditional glass



 


                             Modern glass

 
                    Wood

It always helps when I get feedback after a project I have taught on my blog. It shows that I must have done things right! Lin Beagley sent me a picture of a lovely memorabilia box she made for Paige as she turns 21. Lovely! 


 


                     Paige and her box

 

No comments:

Post a Comment