Monday 1 October 2012

BLOG 118


This week has been a busy week for me, with the deadline for a magazine looming. So, much of my time has been spent getting that together.
We have also been looking after my daughter’s two chocolate Labradors which are boisterous and busy and quite a handful. At first, the weather was superb for the start of autumn, with butterflies and bees covering the flowers.


                              Autumnal garden


 

                                   Alive with insects
We enjoyed some good walks with them ….. And then it started to RAIN and it didn’t stop for 4 days! My husband looked a picture of abject misery as he strode round our paddock in wet weather gear, under an umbrella, followed by 2 dogs that were equally hacked off.

The cats have to relocate to the top end of the cottage whilst the dogs are here, so they are deprived of the usual company and attention. It was for this reason that I decided to work in the loft room rather than my studio. And the only project on-going there is the log cabin sampler quilt. It has been on hold for a while but this was just the excuse I needed to spend time with the cats and to do a block a night. You may not appreciate it but foundation piecing is a messy job, with dark, medium and light fabrics strewn about everywhere. Then there is the constant trimming of the seams and the removal of the paper backing when the square is complete. I have been making 4-patch, 9-patch and 16-patch blocks which doesn’t sound extraordinary but when I tell you that the finished block is only 6 ½”, perhaps you might be impressed!
 

 

                                  Log cabin project

 
                              Broken dishes 4-patch

 
                           Birds in the air 4-patch

 










                    Hour glass 4-patch

 
                                 Snowball 9-patch

I have been quietly making progress on the rag rug too. It is a good project to take to sewing groups as you don’t have to concentrate and the repetition is mindless. It’s all infill now but I am slightly concerned about the distortion. I can only hope it will go away if I ignore it. All I can say is that I doubt I shall be following this up with a stair carpet!!


 

                                     Rag rug front


 

                                    Rag rug back

No comments:

Post a Comment