Sunday 28 October 2012

BLOG 122


This week I have continued to work on my wall hanging for Chester Ps & Qs and I have to say that it is great to get my teeth into a complex project once more.
All projects must start out with a clear master pattern and I showed my large scale drawing in the last blog. From this master pattern, I have traced the tree trunk onto freezer paper; this is to be cut out as I go along to provide the individual pattern shapes.

ASIDE: Freezer paper is a very versatile and inexpensive medium for producing patterns. Designs can be easily seen through it for tracing and it can be ironed onto fabric and peeled off again without leaving any residue. It can also be used 3 or 4 times before it loses its ability to stick. It is an American product and I have always wondered how the first quilter came to use it on fabric?!

 

           Freezer paper pattern
I also trace the shapes of the background, on either side of the tree, onto freezer paper. These are ironed onto the RS of the chosen fabric and they are cut out with an added seam allowances.

 
 

                          Background pattern and fabric

The freezer paper tree is cut out and ready to be used.

 

              Freezer paper tree
The pattern is ironed onto the RS of the fabric chosen to define the shapes within the tree and this is cut out to size.
 

 

                      Tree fabric
I leave the freezer paper in situ and start to cut out the individual pattern pieces as I need them. I iron the shape onto the ready bonded coloured fabric and cut it out to size. After the backing paper is peeled off, the shape is stuck back into its space with the toe of an iron, and the freezer paper is removed. All the shapes are prepared in this way.
 

 

                                      Painting the trunk

 

                                  Progress
Once all the shapes are in place, the remaining freezer paper is peeled off carefully. After reviewing the colours, a good iron secures the shapes.

 
 

                                           Messy job
 

 

                              Completed trunk

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment