Sunday 9 December 2012

BLOG 127


I can only describe myself as a ‘blur’ as I rush towards Christmas each year because, as the time gets shorter, I usually decide that I want to make more of my gifts. I have had plenty of time to do this in the last couple of months but, no, I choose the 11th hour to make this decision. There is no logic to it and my sanity must be called into question! Perhaps it is a subconscious niggle that roots itself in my brain (the one functioning cell!) after my first foray to the shops. I don’t buy much on that first visit as it is more of a fact-finding mission. And the more I see of what the shops have decided that we are going to have for Christmas, the more I don’t want to buy what I see. Yes it’s convenient; yes there is a price range to suit all pockets; and yes everyone does it. But I would rather use my skills to make things for people who appreciate something different. Here are a couple of my ‘useful’ gifts, tissue boxes; the first already completed and the other needing some extra embellishment.
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
                          
                              Completed box

Nearly completed box
I have decided to use the leaves printed on the fabric to decorate the box.
 


 

                                            Fabric

To do this, I apply a fusible web to the fabric and cut the leaves out roughly before sticking them onto a backing fabric.
 


 

                                  Rough cut leaves

In this instance, I am using 2 layers of backing fabric rather than a wadding layer and backing fabric for a less bulky effect. To stabilise the layers, I am going to do a line of free-motion stitches to define the edge of each leaf.

 
                                               Sewn edge

Question: Now, do I cut out the leaves first and then satin stitch the edges or satin stitch then cut?

Answer: The sample on the left was satin stitched before cutting and the one on the right was cut out first. These samples illustrate that to satin stitch first before cutting is the most successful outcome! It was near impossible to control the shape under the machine if it was cut our first …this is the benefit is sewing samples!
 


 

                                      Sample leaves

The leaves will be attached as shown below to complete the box. Now another dilemma: should I add some Vick, Lemsip and throat sweets and make it into a ‘Winter Survival Kit’ … or would a box of Belgian chocolates be more acceptable? There’s no choice really is there?! Chocolates it is then.

 
                                                In position

 More stitching has been added to the Cathedral wall hanging, matching thread colour with fabric.


 

                                            Detail

The mortar in between the stones of the arches has been sewn with a stippling stitch. This stitch went over the edges of the stones so that I didn’t have to do a satin stitch around each shape.



 

                           Stippled edges
And having done that, I felt confident enough to trim and bind the edges, even though I still have some more decorative stitching to do. The beauty of working with Warm and Natural batting is that it rarely shifts during sewing and it grips the quilt top and backing as you work. Great stuff!

 

 

                        Wall hanging

No comments:

Post a Comment