Sunday 3 February 2013

BLOG 134


The Little Ted quilt has been delivered and is in the possession of the new owners as a tummy-time quilt. I do love making such individual gifts for other people and I think quilting gives me all the skills I need to make diverse and interesting gifts. Of course you have to be sure that the recipient is going to be appreciative of the time (and money) spent, otherwise it defeats the object of making it. Many years ago, I remember making an elaborate Christmas stocking for my father-in-law when he was living with us. I wrapped up several small presents and filled the stocking up. Come the day, he cheerily accepted his stocking, unwrapped his individual gifts and then put the stocking straight into the waste paper bin!! I surreptitiously removed it and used it again the following year. I doubt he even realised what he had done, but I certainly did and that was a lesson learned!

I have started to prepare for a residential course that I teach each year at Alston Hall and this week I have been concentrating on Crazy patchwork. This is done with a fusible web and it is a speedy cut-and-stick technique. It reminded me of a reversible wall hanging that I made ages ago. 6 Christmas fabrics were used on one side and the pieces were cut with curved edges.


                                Christmas side

 On the other side I cut straight edges and chose 6 colours that went with my kitchen decor.
 

 

                                                  Décor side

The blocks for both these panels were sewn separately with a wide satin stitch to cover the cut edges and then the blocks were joined together with the black strips. Once the individual panels were completed, they were placed back-to-back and bound. There was no batting and therefore no quilting or texturing.  It hung for years in my kitchen and when it was the Christmas, I turned it round for an instant seasonal decoration.

The blocks I am playing with this time round are going to be quilted and I am going to use decorative stitches on my sewing machine to cover the cut edges. I am using more fabrics, Batiks this time, and trying to make a modern version of Crazy patchwork.
 

 

                                                 Fused squares

As well as using decorative stitches, I intend to do the occasional free motion detail on some of the blocks. 

 

                                     Crazy patchwork

I just love the colour palette I have chosen in the purple/blue/red range. This is where I am happiest on the colour wheel and I love the richness. It is so me! With my initial samples, I am going to make smaller projects but I am beginning to wonder at this stage whether I want to make myself a new quilt for our bed? Decisions, decisions!


 

                                                   Detail

 

No comments:

Post a Comment