Sunday 17 February 2013

BLOG 136


I have been making some more squares for my log cabin sampler quilt in Liberty lawns this week. I am working on a paper foundation for accuracy but it is a slow and painstaking process because of the size of the individual squares. I am doing a 16-patch block at present and the logs are tiny. The patterns, drafted onto graph paper and photocopied, can be seen here alongside a pair of embroidery scissors and standard pin. Small or what!

 
                                          16-patch block
The quilt blocks will be constructed using the value of the fabrics, that’s the light, medium and dark values irrespective of colour. I have prepared strips of fabrics and sorted them into separate baskets. Some fabrics could over-lap two baskets, depending on what they are placed next to, so I continue to sort out the values as I am selecting the strips for sewing. Remember too that the reverse of the fabrics are as useable as the right side and reversing them has the effect of muting the colours.

  
                                         Value baskets
Four of the dark blocks have been completed, the width of each log being just less that ¼”.
 

 

                                          Dark squares

In the paper foundation method, the fabrics are placed on the unmarked side and all the sewing is done along the lines on the marked side. You need to sew with a smaller than average stitch, one that perforates the paper without ripping it completely as you sew (#1 on my machine.) If it is too long a stitch, the paper is more difficult to remove and the stitches can become distressed when you are removing the paper. I sew two at a time to save on thread and I leap frog one over the other as I go. 

 

                            Leap frog sequence
Once all the logs are sewn, they look a bit like this. I then iron them thoroughly before I trim away the excess fabric.
 

 

                             Medium squares untrimmed

 

                                            Trimmed square
To trim, I measure ¼” from the line that defines the outer edge (a bit blurred sorry).
 

 

                                        ¼” Seam allowance

 When I have completed all the squares for one block, I make sure there is a ¼” seam allowance all round. I then tug on opposite corners of each square to tear the paper and make it easier to remove. Once the squares are sewn together to make the block, all the logs will be the same size. The trimmings are sorted through and any that are large enough are recycled back into the baskets. I reckon it takes me half an hour to make two blocks but, hey, who’s counting! Here are squares illustrating the three values: light, medium and dark.


 

                                           Squares and scraps

No comments:

Post a Comment