Saturday 27 July 2013

BLOG 159


 
I was asked yesterday what I was going to write in my blog this week and I rightly replied that I hadn’t a clue! I have pondered in past blogs as to whether my blog keeps me sewing or my sewing keeps me blogging. All I know is that when it gets to the weekend, I start to panic and scout around for something that might be of interest to my many readers, particularly when I am between projects.

This was the week of the Quilters’ Guild Region 13 exhibition in Bangor Cathedral and here is the quilt that I exhibited. I must say that it was in a lovely position, at the top of the stairs on the way out …. I actually missed it on the way in!

                                                 Park Gate

 

The quilts were hung along the sides of the cathedral so as not to impede with the main body and function of the church. Identical telescopic stands were used which made the exhibition look very professional I thought. Well done to those concerned!

                                     Bangor Cathedral

                                         Quilts at Bangor


There was also a quilt exhibition at Llanfairfechan in aid of Cancer research. I was talking so much to one of the organisers that I forgot to take any pictures!! Can’t believe it!

Back at Planet Fronks, I got himself to hang my Delectable Mountain quilt. We live in converted farm buildings with 20” thick walls and small windows so not a lot of light gets into the room. I have to coax him to drill holes in these walls but he does as he’s told … mostly! We can now enjoy this quilt when we wake up in the mornings. Good job I don’t suffer from migraines!

                           Wall hanging

 

TIP: He usually hangs my wall quilts this way: A thin baton is screwed into the wall as a permanent fixture. Another such baton is put through the sleeve on the back of the quilt and then screwed onto the permanent baton.

                                  Baton through sleeve

 When the corner of the quilt is folded back, the fixture becomes invisible. I usually cut my sleeve to the width of the quilt but by the time I have tidied the seams, there is about 1” clear on either side. Any further wall hangings will have to be made to these same dimensions to fit the baton!

                         Invisible baton

 
There are more of my home-made features in the room. Curtain tie-backs were made from garden twine, fabric hearts and tin hearts (cheap at Hobbycraft!).

                                 Tie backs

                                         Felt picture

                                    Lined baskets

       Mixed media paintings


My next project for this room will be to make a cover for a tissue box from fabric and card. Join me next week to find out how to do it.

                                                                                                  Tissue box

No comments:

Post a Comment