Sunday 25 August 2013

BLOG 163


TISSUE BOX continued: Constructing the base of the box


Place the covered pieces of the box base on a flat surface to make sure that you are familiar with the sewing sequence. The sides should fit corner to corner around the base.

 
                               Layout

 Place one of the sides, RS together, onto the base and secure it in place with a strip of masking tape.

                                 RS together


Use a strong thread (I use quilting thread) to match the lining fabric and whip stitch closely and firmly from corner to corner (this line of stitching will not be visible on the completed box).

                            Whip stitch

Secure the corner and then fold the sewn side away from the base to position the next side and hold it with masking tape.

                    Position the next side


Continue sewing around the base to attach the 4 sides. Then sew the vertical sides of the base (again these stitches will not be visible). I always start at the top edge with several tight stitches to make sure that the corners are level.

                            Lined base

 This week I have been doing some ‘up-cycling’ (to use an up-to-the-minute expression!) on some tired bedroom furniture. It used to belong to Rog’s parents and is good quality G Plan. But I thought it was looking a bit tatty and was all set to replace it. The thing is that it was extremely ‘fit for purpose’ (more modern jargon) and matched the skirting boards and beams in the bedrooms. I couldn’t find anything new that I preferred so with fear and trepidation I sanded and painted. I can’t believe how successful this was as a project and how well good it looks in its space. Kirsty Alsop, move over! Thought you might be interested in the before and after pictures!!



 
                                          Before

                                      After


The tops are a bit scratched so they may need sanding and re-varnishing … or I could make a quilted runner to cover them? … Do I need the excuse to make one?

 Ella’s drawings are progressing into a small wall hanging and I will teach this in an up and coming blog. These are the 2 fabrics I am using to frame the blocks, bright and colourful. Ideal!

                                     Frame

And these are some of her drawings. I’m sure you can recognise Paddington Bear, robot, jellyfish, chicken, hand, giraffe and butterfly, ladybird and rainbow!!  I love the naivety of them.

                                   Drawings

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love your furniture re-do!! And of course a bright new runner would be just the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria, we were amazed at how well it turned out. Really we had nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying.
    I will think about the idea of a new runner, an autumn project perhaps, as I have plenty of reds and neutrals left over from the Delectable Mountain wall quilt which is in the same room..
    Dilys

    ReplyDelete