Sunday 13 April 2014

BLOG 195

 

This week I have continued to make progress on items that I intend to display and sell at the Gresford show in June. Here is another teaching sample which I thought was too good to throw away. I had completed and joined 3 vertical lines in one sequence but for some reason, I had another 3 vertical lines in another sequence. This was probably the reason it was never finished.

                                   Tiles quilt

 It took longer than I intended to produce a reasonable sized quilt (49” x 52”) and here is the evidence of the sewing and undoing and re-sewing. I felt no conscience in throwing away what was left and was heartily glad to know that I don’t have to do any more of it!!                                                                                                                                     

                                             Left-overs
 

I have quilted the rows ‘in the ditch’ with a walking foot and I used a free motion foot to do a wandering stem and leaf design using a variegated thread.  After it was bound, the last thing I had to do was to sign it.

                                Stem and leaves design

                                                 Signature
 

I have begun the last 2 flowers on my calendar quilt, a clematis and a rose. They need a bit more work on them before I remove the water soluble medium. Then I can concentrate on the individual quilt squares.

                                      Thread flowers
 

A company in the USA (The Creative Iron) laser cuts a selection of my silhouette patterns on ready-fused black fabric. I came across some during the clean out and this is a sample of a Jacobean strip that they decided not to run with. There is no need to sew the black fabric cut-outs as the heavy fusible prevents it from fraying.

                        Jacobean strip

                                    Decorative stitching

 
Most evenings now I am making myself do some squares on my ‘Stringing the Stars’ quilt. There is still much ground to cover but I will get there in the end!

                                      Stringing the stars
 

I have 3 potential gate quilts for Gresford, again these are workshop/book samples that just needed finishing. Here is the first which I have now quilted and bound and it is in need of a hanging sleeve.

                                         Garden gate

                                    Textural quilting

 ASIDE: I have spent my day today at a willow weaving workshop, making a hanging basket. It was my birthday treat from my daughters and their families and I have had a lovely time. I now have a cone shaped hanging basket and just need to fill it with plants so I can enjoy seeing them thrive through the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment