Sunday 20 April 2014

BLOG 196


 
Happy Easter Sunday. We have had such a lovely week weather-wise in the UK that spring has actually sprung! The hedgerows are covered in bright acid green leaves, the intense colour that you only get in the spring. The blue tits are building their nest and we hear that the local swallows are beginning to arrive back after over-wintering in the warmth. I have spent a lot of time in the garden with the sun on my back this week and precious little time in my studio. That said, I did find time to add detailed decorative stitching to the Jacobean wall hanging. Occasionally I use one of the stitches programmed into my machine but mostly I use free-motion stitching because I like the freedom it affords and it allows me to be creative within the space provided.


                                                                                                  
                                         Stitching detail 1

                                    Stitching detail 2

                                  Background texture


I have trimmed away the excess fabric from around the edge and it is ready to bind. I will do this in the same fabric that was used as the background.

     Completed wall hanging

 This week I have desperately needed to make progress on my panel for this year’s group quilt and any sewing time has been spent on that. I can’t tell you what it is about but rest assured that we are back in our humorous mode and I just know the quilt will entertain those who are viewing it when it is on show at the Festival of Quilts.

On the calendar quilt front, I did a bit of sewing and soldering of sheer fabrics behind the hydrangea flower. I have yet to design the intricate pattern that will be featured on the block. Sometimes it is the designing that slows down the progress, but I am convinced that I am on the right track now with this quilt.

                                 Hydrangea in thread

                                         Hydrangea and sheers

No comments:

Post a Comment