Sunday 12 October 2014

BLOG 218

 

I am so lucky! Now that I am retired, I can just switch on my creativity when I want it and in any way I want. This week I am working on a project which is what I call a ‘means to an end’ project. These are the easiest projects to work on as they generally have a display place waiting for them so there is no effort required to make them. In this instance, I wanted to make a long thin wall hanging to go above the bed in the ‘restless room’. Newly decorated and awaiting the completion of the ‘Lady of the Lake’ Quilt, we continue to work on the room by adding tongue and grove cladding to the wall instead of a bedhead. I wanted the wall hanging to go most of the way along the top of this feature. I chose felting this time, feeling the need to use the mountains of felt that I ordered without knowing just what I was ordering. I was horrified when 3 huge bundles were delivered in light, medium and dark shades and I am now determined to use as much of it as possible. Here is the ‘paint palette’ laid out on the floor beside me.

                                    Paint palette of felt


I started with a foundation strip of light inter-facing and began to needle-felt short strips of fibre with my embellishing machine.

                                        Starting point
 

I placed fibres down first to get a base layer that covered all the interfacing. This took some time to do because of the size of the piece of interfacing, 14” x 48”.

                                          More fibres


Once I had established a good base of solid colour, I was able to use fibres like paint and add wisps of colour, like brush strokes.

                                      Painterly details


Willow Pillow took a great interest in what was going on in her position as quality controller. It could also be something to do with the fact that my daughter’s 2 Labradors are here overnight and she was staying as far away from them as was physically possible.

                                  Quality controller

                                        Detail of ‘painting’

                                       More detail


And before I knew it, I had laid the background for the flowers I intend to place in the foreground. I am pleased with progress and with the ease I was able to achieve so much with so little effort. The machine did all the hard work; all I did was place the colours where I wanted them. I intend to fine-tune the background some more before adding flowers and leaves in the foreground. That will be my focus this coming week.

                                          Background strip

                                              Left detail

                                              Right detail


Here you can see it behind my felting machine. It still measures 14” high by 48” wide. Using interfacing has meant that there is very little shrinkage.

                                    Machine and strip

I am wearing a black armband this week. Not because it is a year since my mother died (where has the time gone?), but because my Bernina 1230 has been declared unfixable. It died during my Richard Box workshop and cannot be revived. It owes me nothing as I have had it for 20+ years and it has been a loyal workhorse all that time. It is like losing a faithful friend and I am sad to know they are not available any more. My Bernina artiste is not a patch on it.

On a lighter note, here is the carrot my husband has just dug up from his vegetable patch for lunch!! One top and 11 bottoms! What’s a girl to do with that eh?

                                  Harvest festival

 

No comments:

Post a Comment