Tuesday 28 April 2015

BLOG 245


BLOG 245
I am happy to be back home again after the family party in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire. Roger’s Auntie arranged a family reunion for her 90th birthday and it was held in the family farmhouse which is situated in a delightful setting known as The Pludds. A winding approach road climbs high up a wooded hill, eventually giving way to stunning views over the surrounding countryside and beyond. It is a run-down, old fashioned farm, and visiting it is like stepping into a time-warp. (I feel it would make an excellent setting for an old TV programme or film!) It’s certainly not a pretty farm, worked at barely a subsistence level, but everything about it is fascinating. It is very special to us as part of the extended family.

But enough of my social life, this week I have been working on a challenge. At Gresford craft group, I share a table with 8 others and we all laugh and chat our way through the morning. One friend light-heartedly accused another of stirring and suggested we buy her a wooden spoon. As we all enjoyed the humour, I said that something positive can come of this; what about a wooden spoon challenge? The accuser bought the wooden spoons, and we subtitled it ‘Blame it on Jane!’ because Jane was the accused. Here are the rules:

THE WOODEN SPOON CHALLENGE ‘Blame it on Jane’ for stirring and Val for buying the spoons!!

This challenge is only for our table at the Tuesday morning session at Gresford craft group and it is meant to be a bit of fun. Participants are not allowed to take it seriously in any way, shape or form!

Everyone will be given a wooden spoon (thanks Val), traditionally used for stirring (blame Jane).

You can use any craft you like to showcase your talents but the spoon must be recognisable in the final piece. (Eg you can’t just stuff it in a cushion and hide it!) You can drill holes in it if necessary.

You have until June to complete your challenge as it will be part of a small display in Gresford exhibition this year (note: small display, don’t get too carried away that you need to deliver it on a juggernaut!)

TIP: Look at expressions to do with spoons or perhaps the shape will get you started. Think about its function or what it could become. Let your imagination run riot and, above all, have a bit of fun.

I have made a start by using thread to make some traditional Welsh Love spoons. These are sewn onto a couple of water-soluble layers with sheers trapped in between. I tried to shade the colours but was restricted by the my lack of choice amongst my threads. These measure about 2” x 5”.  


                                               Threads on water soluble

 
This small one has been sewn with a YLI variegated thread and is only 2” high.

                        Variegated thread

 I have made another Burning Issues piece for a friend. Here it is at the stitched stage; the burning, which is the best stage, is yet to come.

                                                       Burning Issues #6

                                                                   Detail

 Another friend has just had a birthday and I was late getting her Birthday Tweet bird ready for the occasion. I have made the body out of recycled embroidery, a la Suzette Smart, and prepared a felted stone for it to stand on.  Here it is awaiting its label. I think my friend might like it!

                                                    Birthday Tweet right

                                                Birthday Tweet left


I will try to get a short Blog posted by the end of this week; we are holidaying in Menorca for a week, leaving on Friday. I wonder what I will find there to inspire me?

No comments:

Post a Comment