Thursday 30 April 2015

BLOG 246


BLOG 246
Little time has been given to sewing this week, as much effort has been spent preparing for the holiday. We leave tomorrow and my sister and her husband arrive to look after the cats for the duration; this means we can relax, knowing they are being spoiled!

POTENTIAL PROJECT
  
I have trays and bags full of colourful fabric off-cuts from other projects and it has always bothered me that they lay idle Whilst unused, they are just scraps but, when used, they could become a beautiful (hopefully) quilt. Knowing my love of colour, there was no doubt that these bits would be used at some stage; that ‘some stage’ just happens to be now!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
                                                             Basket 1

                                                                Basket 2

 A friend told me recently about strips (perhaps from a jelly roll) that are joined together on the diagonal and then re-cut and re-joined and then used to make quilt squares. I have searched the internet to find a reference without success so I thought I would just have a go anyway and see what happened. My strips are cut at 1 ½”.

                                                              1 ½” strips


Some strips were a lot lighter than the others and I decided straight away to discard all the light fabrics.

                                                                   Lights

TIP: To join 2 strips on the diagonal, place them with RS together at right angles to one another.

                                                        Right angles


Sew across the diagonal. To help with this, draw a line on the table of your machine that extends from the needle (the line on the right is ¼” away and irrelevant to this stage). Line up the top corner with the needle and the bottom corner with that centre line and sew across.

                                                       Lining up


When it is sewn, cut away the excess fabric on the corner.

                                                               Trim


I pressed all the seams in the same direction and cut the strips at 10 ½” so I will need 10 strips to make a block.

                                                                 Press

 I joined the strips together to make a block and so far I like what I see!


                                                                      Block

No comments:

Post a Comment