Sunday 10 May 2015

BLOG 247


BLOG 247


Refreshed after a lovely week on the island of Menorca, I have just ventured into my studio for the first time. As I always do a grand tidy up before I go away, (clearing the surfaces, putting things back to where they belong, throwing out ‘surplus to requirement’ stuff), it was all clean and tidy and a pleasure to be in there. Not much sewing has been done so far as you can imagine as holiday washing had to come first, but that is all ironed and aired and now I am chomping at the bit to get going. I have been toying with the idea of making another quilt for  my in-a-wall series and here is the potential starting point (with a bit more work) for ‘fish-in-a-wall’.


                                                        Fish doodle

 I am always drawing on holiday, for my own interest and not for public viewing, and I have started to become quite intrigued with scribble drawing. I actually draw small circles over and over again, increasing the pressure on the pencil for darker shading. In the back of my mind I am wondering if I can do this in layers of thread, definitely food for thought ….. And then I looked on Google and what a diversity of inspiration there is there. Here is a humble sample of my drawing; I have a long way to go! But as I am fond of saying, you don’t get good at something by not trying it! I join friends tomorrow for a day’s sewing, so I may give it a whirl.

                                                           Scribble drawing 1

 Looking back in my sketch book, I see that I also tried it on a flight last year after visiting the Yellowstone National Park, hence the subject matter.

                                              Scribble drawing 2

 Desperate to sew however, I have put some more thought into the colourful quilt block that I sampled before I went on holiday. I intend to continue with this as a ‘quilt-as-you-go’ project just to get rid of my heaps of colourful scraps. So with enthusiasm, I put the block onto batting and backing and pinned the layers together.

                                                         Pinned layers
 

I chose 2 multi-coloured threads, one for the top and a different one for the bobbin. I sewed a stabilising row of stitches around the outside edge of the block 1/8” in to keep the layers stable.

 
                                             Multi-coloured threads

 
And before I knew it, I had quilted the sample block with a favourite free-motion design.

                                                 Quilted block front

                                                                  Detail


The squares of backing fabrics will be cut from colourful fabric also. So I’m working with colour again and this makes me happy so all is well with my world. I hope to make some progress with this project in the next few weeks so watch this space.

                                                       Quilted block back

 

No comments:

Post a Comment