Sunday 14 June 2015

BLOG 252


BLOG 252

 I hope you are all bound for Gresford next week! We are putting up the exhibition tomorrow and it opens on Tuesday. BE THERE!
 

GRESFORD FESTIVAL OF CRAFTS JUNE 16 to 19th

Tues –Thurs 10:30 to 8:00pm Fri 10:30-6:00pm


I have continued to complete some of my projects and label my entries but, as if that is not enough for me to do, I decided to start another long felt picture. I thought that if I finished it I would put it in the show to hang alongside the first felt panorama that I made. They would hang well side by side. Neither hanging has been registered as exhibits but the committee always has the attitude of ‘the more the merrier’ so I think they will be welcomed IF I can get the second one finished!!

I completed the background strip below during a day on my felting machine at Suzette’s. I started by laying down a solid under-layer with red (don’t know why I chose that colour but it seems to have worked!) at the bottom of the picture, dark green in the middle and grey along the top. That established a base of colour for me to work on so then I used finer strips of wool to define and brighten the landscape.

                                                       Felted strip

                                                            Detail 1

                                                            Detail 2


When I was happy with the background, I had to decide what went in the foreground for interest and definition. Towering flowers to one side seemed like a good idea for a start so I built up layers of coloured felt to hint at them.

                                                              Flowers

 I wanted to bring the flowers forward by defining them more and so I added small pieces of bright coloured silks and mashed them into place.

                                                                     Silks

A few French knots add even more detail.

                                                        French knots

                                                        Foreground

                                                                 More silks

 The question now is ‘will she/won’t she’ get it finished to hang tomorrow in Gresford? There is still a long way to go and it is early evening already.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment