Sunday 12 July 2015

BLOG 256


BLOG 256

Scrap Quilt continued.

Part 4: The long strips are pressed so that the seam allowances are all going in the same direction (I rarely open the seams when piecing) and then I need to cut them into 10 ½” lengths (my finished squares of 10 rows after quilting will be 10”).

ASIDE: I have the option of sewing all the long strips together before cutting them into squares but I feel that that would produce large pieces of fabric which are cumbersome to handle. I also feel that I wouldn’t have the same control over the placement of the colours; I am trying to avoid having two like fabrics side by side.

TIP: If you are constantly cutting the same strip length, put a piece of masking tape along the line (in this case the 10 ½” line). Line up the masking tape with the edge of the strip and cut at the edge of the ruler. It saves you having to look for the measurement each time you replace the ruler.

 

                                                    Cutting the strips

 Part 5: I string-piece the strips together in pairs and then join the pairs together until I have a square made up of 10 strips. These are pressed on the ironing board, from the back first to settle the seams and then on the front to make sure there are no tucks in the seams.

TIP: Let the iron do the work and don’t be tempted to stretch the fabrics.

                                                               Blocks of 10


Part 6: Each block is placed onto a square of low loft batting and backing; these should be about 1” larger all round. Pin the layers together ready for machine quilting. (I tacked mine 1/8” in from the edge of the block to hold the layers together firmly because I didn’t want any movement at all during quilting.) At this stage I felt as though I needed a plan of action. This will be a large quilt as I have loads of scraps but I now need to know where I am going with it and, more importantly, how many blocks I will need. To that end I tried some different placements on my design wall.

                                                   Regular blocks

                                                    Alternating blocks

                                                                                                                                                        
                                                             On point

 This is the setting I really like! It requires more work as there will be inset triangles all around the edge. I used graph paper to draft a pattern of a decent sized quilt and I worked out how many squares I am likely to need. The numbered squares are the ones I have already completed: there is still a long way to go!!

                                        Plan of action
 

When I was in Liberty Bell in Chester last week, I came across this delicious fabric; it contains all the colours I will be using in my quilt. Perhaps I could use this for my joining strips? Who knows because I don’t at this stage? It will evolve as it goes along.

 
                                                        Possible joining fabric

 

No comments:

Post a Comment