Sunday 19 July 2015

BLOG 257


BLOG 257

Scrap quilt continued. 

I have decided to call this quilt the ‘Dilys’s Technicoloured Dream Quilt’. Technicoloured it certainly is, ‘dream’ might be open to question; it might be the stuff of nightmares!! I won’t know until it has been made and is on the bed, you could call it a leap of faith. All I do know at this stage is that I am enjoying making it immensely and it is very therapeutic to be getting rid of drawers full of discarded scraps.

 Part 6 continued.
All 65 blocks have been sewn now and that required application and hard work! Shading in the finished blocks on the master plan helped to keep a running total. Here is the process for making the quilt sandwiches ready for quilting.

                                                        65 blocks

                                      Prepared batting and backing

                                                             3 layers

 Pin well, all around the outside edges, to stabilise the block.

                                                   Pinned edges

With a walking foot on the machine and a long running stitch, sew all around the block, 1/8” in from the edge. Remove the pins as you sew. Place ab 4 pins in the centre of the block.

                                                         Walking foot

I have divided the procedures in this quilt into easy do-able section. I tend to repeat the same procedure over and over again so I don’t have to change the feet or thread so often. I now need to prepare all the blocks in this way; more application!

                                                        Repeated procedure

 Quilting is the next stage so I remove the walking foot and load a free motion foot ready for Part 7 next week.

                                                            Free motion foot

BTW: At our last family gathering, I bagged some of my tiny off-cuts from the diagonal seam and gave them to my granddaughter, with a Pritt stick; I was curious to see what she would do with them. But it wasn’t my granddaughter who applied herself but my eldest daughter. And these are her rapidly created endeavours with a little help from her niece. I think they are just naively charming! Makes me wonder whether I should be discarding these bits after all!

                                                                 Cat

                                                                  Caterpillar

                                                    Butterfly

                                                                 Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment