Sunday 23 August 2015

BLOG 262


BLOG 262
 Dilys’s Multi-coloured Dream Quilt … and finally!
I prepared two 9” squares for the corner triangles and six 15” squares for the edge triangles. The backing and batting were cut slightly larger and then they were prepared as a quilt sandwich ready for free-motion quilting.
 
Quilt sandwich
 
Free motion quilting
 
After quilting, the 2 small blocks were trimmed to 8 ½” (slightly larger than I needed to be on the safe side!) and each one was then cut on one of the diagonals only to give me two triangles with the straight grain on the two short edges. This gave me the 4 corners.
 
Corner triangles
 
The large squares were trimmed to 14 ½” and each one was cut on both diagonals to produce four triangles with the straight grain on the long edges.
 
Prepared triangles
 
This is how both of the triangles look before being sewn into place.
 
Position of triangles
 
They are sewn in place with the two strips on the seam in exactly the same way as the rest of the blocks, ready for the final assembly.
 
 
Triangles added
 
I couldn’t resist trying some of the strips out for size; it gave me much needed encouragement to get the quilt finished. The strips are lying over the hexagon garden quilt they will eventually replace.
 
 
Final seam
 
 
The rest of the quilt
 
Back
 
Front
 
Final edge trim
 
Binding
 
I prepared a 2” straight-cut strip for the single binding, sewing it in place with my walking foot (this gives me an accurate ½” seam). I will be hand sewing the binding in front of the TV tonight and with a bit of luck and lots of application I will have this on the bed before the day is through!! HURRAH!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Such a lovely quilt and the colours on the back are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response Sue, I was beginning to wonder about the difficulties in posting a message in response to my blogs
    because I get so few and people have told me they have tried without success.
    I adore the colour too, delicious aren't they! I smile whenever I go in the room and see the quilt.
    Dilys

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did the a great work writing and revealing the hidden beneficial features of
    Flannel sheet Set

    ReplyDelete