Sunday 8 November 2015

BLOG 273


BLOG 273

Progress has continued steadily with the Picket Fence quilt and I have to admit that I am much happier when there is a project afoot. I’m the sort who prefers to just roll up my sleeves and get on with it and if there is nothing on the go I can happily waste a lot of time.

          3 Blocks

 I thought at this stage that I ought to see how it is going to look in its environment, if the colours work and more importantly if I like it.

          In situ

 And the answer is, yes it suits its environment, and yes the colours work but no I don’t like it. And the reason I don’t like it is because the colours are too muted for me. However, sometimes I have to over-ride my passion for bright and startling colour and just make something that goes. I suppose this shows some strength of character as I feel I have to continue to the end of the project and my motivation is very low! However, there is a system of sorts beside the sewing machine, and I continue to join strips and pin them into batches of 3.

          Sewing system

 On the Ironing board, there is a further system where I unpin the sets of 3 ready for pressing. Once they are pressed they are stacked in piles at right angles to one another, ready for sewing into the building blocks of the pattern.

         Pressing system

And before I know it another row is on the way.
 
          2 Rows

 The rest of the squares have been joined together into half-blocks and by the end of the week these should hopefully be sewn together.

          Remaining half squares

One ¼-square caused a bit of a problem, it just didn’t seem to work in the quilt. And then I realised that I had constructed it incorrectly so it was rectified with a bit of reverse sewing (unpicking by any other name!)

             Wrong

            Last seam


     Finished centre 36” x 48”

Now it’s time to contemplate the border. Next week I will be featuring a Christmas wall-hanging which is not complicated but which looks very effective. Perhaps some of you will have a go too?

No comments:

Post a Comment