Sunday 31 January 2016

BLOG 285


BLOG 285


Let me get the felting phase out of my system first. A couple of blogs ago, the little house tiles (3-4” square) were waiting some stitch detail. I have completed them now and the black thread work has enhanced them well in my opinion.

           Felted house 1

           Felted house 2


And what did I do with them? First, I stuck them onto smaller pieces of mount board to give them rigidity and then I stuck them onto the bedroom wall above the wooden cladding. They complement the colourful quilt on the bed and the pictures above the bed. I am well satisfied with this project.

               Tiles in situ

 This is what I habitually use to attach light-weight textiles to the wall. It’s a Velcro-like product and it does the job brilliantly!

               Hanging product


I was so taken with the tiles that I made a series of fishy bricks for my daughter. She has my colourful turtle (appliqued onto a black background) on her wall and so I felt that she needed some fish to go with it too.

           Felted fish

 And now, what to do, what to do, what to do? I know that life for me and those around me is always better when I am busy. When I have my head down, I don’t want to move the house 3” to the left (my husband says that I am always looking for projects for him to do!) or go off to the shops aimlessly and spend money or waste time playing Spider Solitaire and Majong on the computer. So I am determined to get stuck into something. Just what, I’m not sure yet.

…. That was a couple of days ago and now I am stuck into something! I pulled out my drawer of discarded bits and I started to sort them out.

           Discarded bits
 

This led me into an ironing and cutting frenzy, (2 hours of it!) during which time any bits of fabric that would yield strips of any size and length were cut and smaller odds and ends were discarded. Very satisfying for the soul …. As long as you can give yourself permission to throw the smaller bits away and not try to persuade yourself that you are going into miniature quilts eventually! You have to draw the line somewhere.

               Ironing frenzy


Once cut and ironed, the strips were sorted into value bags for convenience: very light, light, medium, medium dark and dark.

            Value bags

                 Wadding off-cuts


All that lengthy time I was doing the ironing and cutting, I was thinking what I could do with the randomly-cut strips of fabric. To that fabric, add a drawer full of wadding off-cuts that also needed using and that adds up to a project. More next time.


 

 

 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment