Sunday, 11 June 2017

BLOG 349

BLOG 349
There are more projects on the go this week, all for the sales table at the Gresford show. I have a favourite tote bag which I decided to copy, and I decided to use one of my experimental panels for a pocket.

                 Bag and panel

 I worked out the dimensions and free-machine embroidered panels on the black fabric and wadding with a variegated thread.


I prepared handles and fitted them in place, ready to be caught in the seam when I added the top panel.


                Adding top panel

                 Secure handles

The decorative pocket panel was already quilted so I added a lining and bound round the edge with the same red fabric. This was positioned centrally on one side and sewn in place.


 After sewing up the sides with WS together, this was turned inside out so that I could shape the corners. The lining was made to the same measurements as the bag and shaped also.

                 Shaped bag WS

                  Shaped bag RS

              Shaped lining

The lining was then placed inside the bag with WS together ready for binding. This has been a speedy project for a change.

               Lining in bag

I found a pack of pre-cut shapes with a backing square in stock to make a panel. This I decided to use to make a 16” cushion. The shapes were ironed onto the background and this was placed onto wadding and a backing fabric. Borders were added and the shapes were sewn through the three layers.

                     Applique cushion


                 Stitch detail

No comments:

Post a Comment