Sunday 9 September 2018

BLOG 410

Blog 410
 
And so the creative meandering continues. I kept cutting up fabrics that were already prepared and I tried to fit them into the picture. The fabrics I generally prefer to use are ones with movement and depth in them, and light and dark values, because they are easier to integrate. This colourful fabric below was a bit too solid for my liking. I tried to include it but found the yellow/green section didn’t flow the way I like it to. So it was a case of ‘now you see it’, ‘now you don’t’! And this is what this method is basically all about: squinting through half-closed eyes as you work and then stepping as far away as you can to assess it from a distance. If there is something you don’t like, don’t tolerate it, remove it!
            Colourful fabric
 
 

           Now you see it
 
 

            Now you don’t
 
I continued to create pink geranium-like flowers separately on the release paper (baking parchment performs the same function).


             Flowers
 
 
 


           More flowers
 


I decided to prepare more fabrics, ones that were specific to what I was trying to create. I used 18” wide Bondaweb and cut pieces of fabric to cover the surface. Occasionally I have to fill in awkward spaces but, as long as the fabrics overlap one another, my iron is safe!! I ironed from the RS first and then turned it over and really worked the whole surface of the release paper, remembering to concentrate well on the edges and corners. If I had any trouble taking the paper off the back of the fabric, I made a small cut with a pin and it is easy to lift off after that.
             Filling in spaces
 
 

            Press RS
 
 


                Press WS
 
 

             Score with a pin
 


Once the paper had been removed, the fabrics were still joined by the Bondaweb and all I needed to do was give a small tug to separate the individual pieces. From the WS you can see the edges that didn’t have any fusible on them and these needed to be removed before using a rotary cutter to cut the fabrics in rough lines and then into smaller squares and rectangles.
             Fusible on WS
 
 


              Remove the edges
 
 


             Lines
 
 

             Rectangles
 
 


         Progress 1
 
 


           Progress 2
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment