Sunday 25 November 2018

BLOG 421

Blog 421
 
It has been a week of bits and pieces. I was at Suzette’s at the start of the week to sew with my friends. First I started to prepare a sample for the project I am doing with our village craft group. It is a stained glass candle wall hanging which I taught my regular classes many, many years ago. It isn’t my design and, as it is such an old project, I can’t remember the design source. I had to draft a working pattern from my own sample. The picture below shows all the pattern shapes sewn on a background layer by machine ready for the iron-on bias binding. The binding has just arrived in time for this week’s class and it will define the separate areas dramatically and bring the picture to life.
              Appliqued background
 
I found another project unfinished in the bottom of a box, a free-machine scribble of threads on a dissolving medium. This had been started as the foundation of a thread dish and I felt it was worth continuing.  Here is a sequence of pictures to show the progress. I am now at the stage where I need to refine the design and soak it in hot water and mould it round a suitably shaped dish to dry.



           Central circle
 
 
 


            Enlarged
 
 

                 Defining the edge
 
 

              Overlaid detail
 
 


                Close up
 
 

             Decorative detail
 
Another thing I played with this week (I did say it was a bitty week!) was a project to answer the question ‘can I make a piece of work to look like a water colour painting?! First I printed off a very loosely painted bird and I overlaid it with a layer that still allowed me to see the design. I started to free-cut sheers and position them over the background vaguely in line with the original pattern.  


               Water colour
 
 
 


           Background layer
 
 
 


          Progress
 
  
         More progress
 
 
And so it continues. I am not sure yet whether I have answered my question but I am intrigued enough to continue playing with this idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment