Sunday 7 April 2019

BLOG 440

Blog 440
As I said last week I have an idea! I have a wonderful selection of colourful sheers and a soldering iron and I wondered what I could do to decorate the colourful background. I drafted the pattern last week and worked on it this week in two very different ways. One was successful and one was not!
 

            Sheers
 

The first way was to cover the pattern with release paper to protect it. I then selected sheers, placed them on top and cut out shapes with the soldering iron.
           Pattern and release paper
 
I put the pattern underneath some release paper thinking that I could work on the release paper with the soldering iron without spoiling the pattern. That worked fine although it was difficult to be tidy or accurate.


                Burning shapes
 
 
 


            Building up the pattern
 
 
 


            Flowers
 
So far so good, if a little scrappy! I then wondered what would happen to the colours if they were covered by another sheer. It certainly warmed them up but did nothing to help the process.


               Overlay
 


Then it occurred to me that I must assess what I was doing in relation to the background that I had prepared earlier! That confirmed straight away that this process was not contributing anything to this particular project! You could barely see the shapes; they were lost against the colour. That said, I have learned one or two things about cutting shapes with a soldering iron and will have another go.
             Ghosted shapes
 


So it was back to the drawing board to do what I know and love, namely preparing a silhouette. I found some black fabric in stock with adhesive on the back, something I have never used before because it seemed too stiff and heavy, ideal for a wall hanging though. I was able to trace the pattern through the fabric using a light box and a white marking pencil.
              Black fabric
 
 

             White marker
 
 

              Transferred pattern
 
All I needed to do now was cut it out and remove the ‘holes’ and, because I can’t bear waste, I ended up keeping all the ‘holes’ also. More next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment