Sunday 14 April 2019

BLOG 441

Blog 441
I continued to make progress with the dual image silhouette this week. The ‘holes’ needed to be carefully and accurately cut out so I used a rotary cutter to make a small cut on the line to enable me to get my scissors in. I used the pattern to store the bits so that I knew where they had been cut from; it saves all the guess work!
 

             
             Holes
 
The silhouette was what I wanted to place on the colourful background as a positive image and I found another ready-quilted square to take the cut-out ‘holes’ to make a negative image.



           Silhouette
 
I placed the silhouette on top of the second background and used it as a stencil to help me replace all the ‘holes’ accurately. I used the tip of a small iron to apply enough heat to keep all the ‘holes’ in position, but avoided touching any of the stencil. (NB For this project, I used a fabric that already had a layer of glue sprayed onto the back. Usually I use Bondaweb, in which case I can leave the release paper on the back of the stencil to stop it from sticking, whilst removing the paper from the ‘holes’ to allow them to stick.)


              Using the silhouette
 
          Replacing the holes 1
 
 

              Replacing the holes 2
 
 

 
             Replacing the holes 3
 
 

 
Once all the ‘holes’ had been replaced inside the silhouette, all that remained was for the silhouette to be lifted to reveal the negative image.



          Removing the silhouette
 
I stuck the silhouette onto the other background and gave them both a good press. I had produced two images from the same piece of black fabric; positive and negative. All I need to do now add some thread work.



            Negative image
 

            Positive image
 
 


           Comparison
 

 
BTW: I have been on jury service over the last fortnight … again … and enjoyed the process and formality of it all whilst being slightly daunted over what we were asked to listen to and what we were expected to do as a member of the jury. The first case went according to plan and was pretty much ‘text-book’ in its character. We were all sworn in for our second case and had made a start on listening to the rather gruelling police interview tapes when we broke off for lunch. During lunch our youngest (22) and most glamourous jury member checked her phone only to notice that she had been ‘Facebooked’ by one of the young men in the public gallery (Our names are read out once and only once as we are chosen to serve so he was quick off the mark!) . She reported it right away and there were official comings and goings whilst we had our lunch. When we returned to court we learned that the young man in question had been detained, we were dismissed as a jury and the case would have to be rescheduled months down the line. What a waste of peoples’ time (judge barristers, witnesses, public servants, jury) and public money but doesn’t it just reflect the immediacy and the power of social media.
 
And this is a cryptic message to make an old school friend laugh:  Matches at Jonkoping!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment