Sunday 19 May 2019

BLOG 444

Blog 444
Back home again and isn’t that just the best part of being away! We had a marvellous time in China and made some lovely friends. Three days in an extremely busy Hong Kong was followed by a two week tour courtesy of Wendy Wu. It is the only way to get the most out of China and this is what we did:
 
*Flight to Shanghai and stayed in a hotel which had been built as a football stadium for the Olympics, and in one day we visited an ancient garden, a silk museum, travelled at 268mph on the Maglev train, went up the tallest building, ate 2 Chinese banquets and did a river cruise to see the city lights!

*Flight to Wuhan to join our boat ‘Victoria Katarina’ for a 4-day cruise along the Yangtze which included exploring smaller gorges, the Three Gorges Dam project and The Jade Emperor. On board there was different entertainment, a demonstration of the game Mahjong, painting the inside of small bottles etc.
*Coach to Chengdu via a street market at Ciqikou famous for its porcelain, a visit to a tea room followed by a performance of ancient theatre acts (loved the Sichuan mask changing!), the Panda Conservation Research Base, a Tang Dynasty dancing show, the Terracotta Warriors and the ancient city walls.
*Flight to Beijing to visit the Wild Goose Pagoda, the Muslim quarter market, Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, a Chinese acrobat show, the Temple of Heaven, the Great Wall of China, Jade factory and Summer Palace.
We ate 2 Chinese banquets daily using chop sticks; this was very sociable, and a slow and healthy way of eating. (I thought I was going to starve at first because I couldn’t pick anything up but once I got the hang of it, it was fine!) It was everything we anticipated and then some, an amazing cultural experience of a world so very different from our own. I loved it and feel enriched by it!
          Terracotta Warriors
 
 
 

            Panda
 
 
 
 

           The Great Wall (and it was that steep in places)
 
 
 

              Emperor and Empress
 
Now I am home, I have hit the ground running! I have zigzagged around the black shapes and completed the second silhouetted wall hanging.



             Wall hanging
 
 
have layered and quilted the shaded Liberty quilt. I chose the easiest option and sewed a straight line through the middle of the squares in both directions, using a walking foot. This gives the appearance of fragmented squares and it just needs binding now.



            Liberty quilt
 
 
 
 

              Quilting lines
 
 

I have also layered the miniature log cabin quilt but I still don’t know how I am going to quilt it! There is so much intricate work in this quilt that I don’t want to spoil it with unsympathetic texturing/stitch. I will think about it during the coming week!




 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dilys
    Welcome home! That sounds like an amazing trip; thanks for sharing some of your highlights with us. I've finally caught up with all your posts from the beginning, and just wanted to say thank you for such an informative and entertaining blog. I've made notes of the projects that most inspire me, and will let you know how things go. Are you still on the same email?

    ReplyDelete