Sunday 26 May 2019

BLOG 445


Blog 445

 There has been NO progress on ‘Sampler in the Cabin’ and I am just including it in my blog to shame myself into doing something about it!


          Sampler in the cabin



 I found time to a haberdashery jigsaw, one of the most complex I have done for some time!




         Jigsaw



 And then it dawned on me that the Gresford show is less than 3 weeks away! I have visited the church to see what space I have for my exhibition and I have the quilts to fill it in my loft. I needed some smaller stuff however to dot around the chapel and cushions seemed like a good place to start. I like colourful backgrounds (perhaps you have noticed!) and have made them in various ways. The silhouette below was placed on a background of fused random squares; the individual shapes are difficult to pick out because the colours blend so well. This was quick and easy to do!
 


               
             Random background
 
  


             Detail



 Another method I have used for constructing a background is the English paper piecing method. In the sample shown below, I have used a lozenge shape and it took ages! (Note to self: remove the cat hairs before putting it on show!!)


            Lozenge background





           Lozenge detail 

So for speed it was obvious which method I was going to use to make another cushion. I started to cut more squares of ready-fused batiks with a fluted blade. (NB I always change to my really old cutting mat when using a fluted blade because it can chew up the surface of the mat!) 
 



          Palette



 I worked with a piece of wadding beside me and started to randomly over-lap the squares with the aim of making the colours move smoothly one into another. I used the toe of a small iron to catch them in place when I was happy with the lay-out


           Placing onto wadding 
 
 

                    
            In progress
 
 
 


              Colourful background



 And there you have it! But after photographing it I realised that I wanted more light in the centre so I tweaked it by adding some extra squares.


 
           Tweaked!
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment