Wednesday 28 July 2010

BLOG 19

If you are visiting the blog for the first time, you will see that there are 3 sections to each entry. Life Before Quilting documents my early years up until the time I started to quilt. My Quilting Journey covers my 25 years of teaching and the quilts that I have made during that period. Quilting 2010 addresses what’s happening in my quilting life now. Just enjoy what you are interested in and visit often!

LIFE BEFORE QUILTING

The Tautunu made 3 stops to deliver much needed supplies to the local population, to collect copra and to enable Holland and myself to supervise the entrance exams. We called at Onotua, Tabituea South and Tabituea North and the sight of these islands was so welcome to me as a respite from bouts of seasickness. The ship could only get so far into the lagoons of these islands so the remainder of the journey had to be made by motor launch and often by wading. Whole villages would turn out to witness the arrival of the ship, the unloading of the cargo and the slow progress of transferring the passengers to the shore. As the only Imatang (white person) I was heavily scrutinised and commented upon! But I only recalled their happy, ever-smiling faces, scant clothing and the warmth of their usual greeting ‘Ko Na Mauri’.
Before the ship returned to Tarawa, we had to call in at Nonouti to collect copra, so Holland and I went ashore and called at his cousin’s house for an impromptu meal of rice and fresh fish, baked on an open fire.


QUILTING 2010

At the moment, I am concentrating on my contribution to ‘Pennants for Patch workers’. This is a money-raising scheme for the Quilters’ Guild, to be run as a tombola at the Festival of Quilts. As members we are invited to make pennants, to A4 size, in whatever style takes our fancy. I have used experimental pieces, left over from workshops, to make mine.



Pennant 1


Pennant 2

Pennants 1, 2 and 3 have machine-pieced backgrounds, with fused appliqué. Pennants 4 and 5 are machine-embroidered pictures. Some need to be bordered but they will be finished today and in the post tomorrow.


Pennant 3

Pennant 4
Pennant 5

No comments:

Post a Comment