Friday 17 September 2010

BLOG 23

Over the past few days, I have completed the construction of 9 in the Rail Fence and here you can see a picture of it on the bed. I really like the effect and it is just right for the room. There are 2 different blocks: One 9-patch centre with 5 light and 4 dark squares and one with 5 dark and 4 light squares. The rail fence squares surround the centres, with the dark strips going horizontal and the light strips going vertical.

9 in the Rail Fence: 2 blocks

9 in the Rail Fence

Here is a reminder of the first quilt centre that I constructed and I’m sure you’ll agree that they go well together

9 in the Cabin

All that is needed now is a decision on borders for both these quilts. I have many 5” strips left over from the Rail Fence squares and some 9-patch blocks. My initial feeling is that the quilts need a relatively plain teal inner border to frame and contain the centres, with perhaps a second border made from the leftovers and a outer border of teal again. Watch this space.

Out of interest, the colour palette for these quilts came from the following cross-stitched picture. My sister Gwyneth made it for me many years ago and I have always treasured it and loved the colours.

Colour inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment