Friday 12 November 2010

BLOG 28


Since settling back in at home after Malvern, I have started a wall hanging for competition next year. It is an idea I have had in my mind for a long time and indeed, the pattern has been drawn for months. All I needed was the time.

And, somehow, my attitude towards time changes when the clocks go back in October. The wood-burning stove is lit early afternoon, the curtains are drawn to shut out the dark and the lounge is warm and cosy. To me, this is an invitation to sit down a bit earlier without feeling guilty! And if I am sitting down, I need a project on my lap. (I don’t have my husband’s gift of sleeping; any time, any place, anywhere, at the drop of a hat!)

The wall hangings below are influenced by Jacobean or Crewelwork embroidery. It is a style I love and which I have worked on many times. I keep going back to my vast file on the subject and developing ideas.

Jacobean Fantasy

These wall hangings were made many years ago and are executed in positive and negative appliqué or Dual Image Appliqué, the subject of my next book. They were a trial run for the quilt I am working on now, to see whether the 2-4-1 method would work. I think it does, very dramatically, so I am committed now to seeing the quilt through.

Jacobean 2-4-1 method

This is the first panel. Hopefully you can see the how I have used the cutout or negative shapes to create the panel on the left. I have yet to find the right fabric to put behind the in-tact frame on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment