Sunday 21 November 2010

BLOG 29

Designing is the hardest part of quilt making. I have always strived to be different and innovative in my work and so each of my quilts has to be designed and needs to start with a full size pattern. This is what takes the time and the patience. I dream up some ‘what if’ ideas, do trial samples to test the method, search for resource material, and then draft a pattern. That’s the hardest part behind me but, somehow, the thought of embarking on a complex pattern, such as seen on my latest quilt, is quite overwhelming.

Part of pattern

This is when I adopt the Chocolate Elephant approach to my work!

If someone put a huge chocolate elephant in front of me, much as I would like to eat it, it would completely outface me. However, if that same chocolate elephant were smashed into hundreds of small pieces, I would willingly make a start, as each piece would be a manageable size to eat. In the same way, I reduce my quilt design into smaller manageable sections.

As seen below, I have made a start on one of the smaller sections using the cut-out shapes.

Jacobean 2-4-1 method

Now I need to make a decision on the fabric to go behind the in tact frame. It is at this stage that I start to audition fabrics and this is the beauty of the 2-4-1 method.

Auditioning fabric 1

Auditioning fabric 2

Fabric 1 is a possibility, but I have a limited amount of it. I prefer to have in stock much more than I am ever likely to use, just in case problems arise.

Fabric 2 is too stark and lacks any warmth.

I particularly like Fabric 3 and need to go to the shop to see if there is more available. Any excuse to get amongst those bolts of fabric eh!

Auditioning fabric 3

Another project that needs to be done is a baby quilt for my great niece. I have made one for each of my great nephews and nieces and Sophia, at 2 months old, is the latest. I have used a pre-printed alphabet for speed and this is how it looks after a few hours work on the sewing machine. It’s quick, its bright and colourful and it needs quilting now, that’s what takes the time!.

Sophia’s quilt

Sophia’s quilt detail

No comments:

Post a Comment