Sunday 26 August 2012

BLOG 113


I have come down to earth again now after our surprise Best in Show win at the Festival of Quilts last weekend. I have been told (I’m not interested enough to look for myself) that there have been several unfavourable comments posted about this on various sites. Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As a group, we enjoyed lots of hilarity portraying ourselves at the Quilter’s Games and submitted it for viewers to enjoy the tongue-in-cheek humour of it all. And crowds of viewers did enjoy it; you only had to stand by the quilt for a while to witness the warm response. If some quilters have taken offence and can’t enjoy it for what it was, this reflects on them and not on us. The Best in Show quilt is selected, from all the individual winners, by a group of independent judges and our quilt, which just happened to coincide with the euphoria that followed the Olympics, captured their imagination. The humour is back in quilting and long may it continue!

Now, onto more important things: what have I been up to this week? Well I have had a total change of direction just for the hell of it. With the money I won last year, I bought an embellishing machine.  This is a bit of a misnomer as it gives the impression that it will do fancy embellishing. It doesn’t. All it consists of is a cluster of barbed needles that go up and down so it is in fact only a needle felting machine. Having done precious little with it so far, I decided to invest in a book and lots of different coloured fibres to have a go at ‘painting’ pictures which I can perhaps frame if they are successful.

The book I purchased is called Art in Felt and Stitch by Moy Mackay, published by Search Press. It was her sense of colour that attracted me in the first place and then, on inspection, I was amazed at the detail she was able to get into her pictures. Here is my ‘painting’ palette made up of wool tops, fleece, animal and silk fibres and Angelina fibres and now I am ready to play!


 

                                           Colour palette

The author creates her pictures by wet felting and fine-tunes with needle felting. Rather than create cloth in this way, I chose just to needle felt with my machine onto an open-weave background fabric. When learning a new creative process like this, the easiest thing to do is to shadow the author. She offers advice as an expert in the technique, she illustrates the step-by-step method and hopefully has ironed out all the problems that might arise.

Here is my first attempt to create one of her pictures.

 
 
                               Rough drawing

 

 



                                         Sky

 
 



                                        Hills


 


                                             Foreground

 

 

 
                                    Adding colour

 
 


                                  Adding shadow



 


Viewed in a frame

 

 



                                 Reverse side

 I need to add more specific detail with a single felting needle and machine embroidery. I have certainly enjoyed the process thus far and even had a go at another two of her pictures.
 

 


                                         Play station!

2 comments:

  1. I tottally agree with you!! It was a fun piece, topical and well executed, I loved it!!! Well Done to you all on your win!!

    I look forward to seeing at Gresford. Your other piece was lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouraging comments. You obviously appreciate the innocent humour in the quilt.
    The quilt will be on tour till Xmas but I'm sure it will make a guest appearance in the Gresford show next year.
    It is the great Northern this WE so my Jacobean has been sent there for another outing and I will be joining it on Sunday.
    Dilys

    ReplyDelete