Sunday 31 March 2013

BLOG 142


A short amount of time has passed since my late blog last week but you’ll be pleased to hear that the time has been filled productively. I came back from Alston with lots of teaching samples again, some of which I have given myself permission to discard, but there are others which I deem worth finishing.

One such sample was of crazy patchwork in blues, reds and purples, my most favourite part of the colour wheel. You may even recall that I said a couple of blogs ago that ‘I felt a quilt coming on’ because of this colour palette. Well, common sense has prevailed! In the past I would have launched into such a quilt without a second thought and toiled for hours and hours making it, only to wonder if it was really suitable for its purpose. Would these colours really have been right for a calming quilt? Would they fit into the character of our cottagey home? We live in a converted stone built barn and dairy with vaulted and timbered ceilings. Crazy patchwork as a technique would find a place here but in purples? … I think not. I believe I would have tired of the colours very quickly.

 
                                       The sample

 
 

                                    Sample and border
So I decided to make my sample into a cover for my desk diary. Each year I buy one to jot things down beside the computer and a removable cover would make it more attractive. I will come back to this as a teaching project in a future blog so keep calling by.

 
 

                                 Completed book cover
Another project that I am keen to finish for my own use is a tissue box. Here is the progression in the development of the lid top. I will also demonstrate the tissue box as a project in a future blog.

 
 

                                 Outline patterns and voile


 

                                      Detailed stitching


 


                                          Infill stitching

 
                                               In progress

 
                                       Completed top

 
 


               Embroidered top and box fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment