Sunday 6 October 2013

BLOG 169


As you may know if you are a regular reader, I go to the home of Suzette ‘one pin’ Smart to do machine embroidery. I don’t have the discipline to sit all day here at home working just with threads because I get easily distracted back to my fabrics. So, armed with a sewing machine, a box of threads and a few essential embroidery supplies, I take myself off to her house and just sew. It is not a workshop as such but there is advice if I need it and inspiration by the bucketful. Just being with other machine embroiderers is inspirational; you can see what they are working on, enjoy their colour palette and witness how they achieve their results.

 The inspiration for my 3-D picture has been taken from my garden where, this year, the butterflies have been wonderful! The buddleia has been covered with them and on one occasion I have counted as many as 15 of them. The two pictures below show their beautiful markings.

                        Small tortoiseshell

 Red Admiral

 At the first class, I decided I would try to draw some vague replicas of common butterflies just using threads. I trapped a few bits of sheer fabric between 2 layers of a vanishing medium. This was held in an embroidery frame whilst the stitching was done. First I drew an outline for each butterfly and then I filled them in with different coloured threads, mainly scribbling to give a tangle of threads. The vanishing medium was soaked away leaving the butterflies attached to the flimsy sheers which gave them a lovely delicacy. They are going to be stiff enough to bend in the middle to give them dimension to the picture.

                       Butterflies on sheer

 At the second session, I started to work on a background picture, dominated by a buddleia on which the butterflies will eventually rest. I used layers, texture and stitch to compose it and I believe I have laid down a good foundation as a base for more stitching and texture.

(ASIDE: Seeing it through the lens of a camera has given me the distance I needed to appraise progress. There are a few things that need attention which I hadn’t been aware of by just looking at it at arm’s length! The camera shows just how the picture will look inside it’s frame and the use of a camera cannot be under estimated.)

                    Foundation of picture

                          Buddleia detail

                              Textures

 
                                   Layers

 I have made a bit more progress on my painterly piece, with only a couple more squares to do to give me the twelve I think I need for this project.

                        Painterly background

No comments:

Post a Comment