Sunday 27 October 2013

BLOG 172


As we brace ourselves for the hurricane-like storms that are due to rip across the UK, I can’t help but be a bit sceptical when I look out of the window and see the sun shining and a gentle breeze ruffling the leaves on our autumnal trees. This is known as the calm before the storm. Personally I would regard quilt-making as the reverse of this because in my experience the storm definitely comes before the calm! Below is a case in point. The way I work, I have the turmoil of haphazard piles of fabric strips strewn in front of me. These are sifted through, turned over and sifted again in order to find the exact strip I need for my continuous smudges of colour. I just can’t work tidily and I would argue that if I was tidy, I would not be so creative. Does anyone have any views on this; I’d be interested to hear them?

                                                  The storm

 I have demonstrated my working procedure for my painterly quilts before in earlier blogs, and it certainly works for me. I suppose the down-side of it is that I have mountains of strips left over after such a project. But then the up-side is that the guilt of seeing the  piles of left-overs make me get started on another project …. And then I have to cut more fabric to get the right transition from one colour to another … and then there are lots left over …. Eureka! I think I might just have discovered the secret for perpetual quilting!

Here is the penultimate square which to me demonstrates my calm after my storm.

                                             The calm

And here are the 12 blocks completed, with one colour smudging pleasingly into another. I haven’t a clue where this is going, (if you remember I started it as a therapy when my mother was starting to fail) and I may just put it to one side now and let my subconscious start to work. To feed my imagination, I will start to look at hundreds of pictures of quilts and eventually an idea will surface. At the moment I am thinking that the small centre square will be cut as a circle. Also I have decided that each square will be worked and completed individually and then joined up at the end to make a larger piece. Watch this space as they say!

                              12 squares

                                                Detail 1

                                                Detail 2

                                                  Detail 3

                                                    Detail 4

No comments:

Post a Comment