Sunday 13 September 2015

BLOG 265


BLOG 265

 

This week, I returned to the craft and sewing groups that I habitually attend after a few weeks break over summer. I personally think it is good to have a bit of space sometimes, to re-charge your batteries and to actually miss being there. I now feel ready to get on with things again.

I needed a new project to do at the machine sewing session that I go to in Suzette’s home. I remembered saying in an earlier blog, after the Festival of Quilts, that there was a miniature quilt that I would have loved to have taken home. Here it is:

 


Miniature birds

 

And then I thought, in the absence of being able to bring this quilt home, I wonder if I can make something similar? I started by collecting pictures, cards, books and the like, anything that would help me visually. I did some preliminary sketches to get to know the character of each bird. Here’s the progress so far:


Preparation

 

A stabiliser was ironed onto the WS of the hessian-like fabric that I had chosen for the background. It was held taut in a hoop as I started to free-hand draw with a neutral thread in my machine.

 


Sketching

 


More sketching

 


Thread birds

 

Once I had sketched each of my selected birds (one’s that habitually come to our bird table), I used threads and occasionally bits of dyed scrim to colour them in. This was my progress during an approximately 4 hours of sewing (the rest of the time was spent talking, oohing and aahing, tea drinking … I’m sure you are familiar with the format).

 


Colouring in

 


More colouring

 

There are usually just 4 of us around the table at these sessions. Pat and Peggy allowed me to take photos of their lovely work this week to share on my blog.

 


Pat’s insects

 


Peggy’s rose

 

No comments:

Post a Comment