Sunday 14 February 2016

BLOG 287


Blog 287


Royal International Pavilion,
Abbey Road, Llangollen
 LL20 8SW

The Nineties Collection. .........
........and More
Exhibition of quilts commissioned from  Quilters' Guild Members working during the nineteen nineties

Wednesday 10th - Sunday 21st February 2016
Open Daily 10am - 4pm
Free entry and free parking
 Museum and Art Gallery, Parade Street, Llangollen LL20 8PW

Wrexham Quilting Circle

Showcase

Tuesday 2nd February - Tuesday 1st March
2016

Open Daily 10am - 4pm
Free entry
Royal International Pavilion,
Abbey Road, Llangollen
 LL20 8PW

Trading Day

Sunday 14th February
2016
Open  10am - 4pm
Admission £3 - light refreshments available

Click here to see invited Traders

 
Quilt Fest is now being held in the Royal Pavilion in Llangollen. I was there on Wednesday doing my demonstration and talking to the trickle of visitors who came to look at the quilts. There are many lovely quilts on display, each one being 24” square, and they cover a vast range of styles and techniques. The quilters who made the original quilts for the ‘Nineties Collection’ were asked to make a second one so I was particularly interested to see both quilts by the same maker, to see if they had progressed and how they’d progressed. Here are just some of the quilts on display and there are plenty more to see including those in the Museum exhibition. Come and see them!

               Llangollen 1

            Llangollen 2

            Llangollen 3

              Llangollen 4

             Llangollen 5


Here are my two quilts on the right alongside those of Gwenfai Rees-Griffiths; I am in very good company!

              Llangollen 6


I can see from my black and white quilt that I was in a transition period with my work. I was at the tail end of my interest in Jacobean-style quilts and beginning to look at grilles and grids which would eventually lead me to the Garden gate series for which I was well known. This quilt was fastidiously hand applique and hand quilted but just look at the difference in my work now. I am sticking ready-bonded fabrics in place and machine texturing them to hold them down and add detail.  It took a while longer for me to realise that it is colour that excites me most!

Talking of colour, there is something else brewing in my studio. I seem to be going through a phase of ‘I always wanted to have a go at that’ and decided to do just that for this tessellated pattern. It flows quite nicely from my Picket Fence quilt because it uses similar techniques.

                  Tessellated pattern

               I feel a quilt coming on!

The tonal blocks which I showed last week are mounting up slowly. Every time I sit at my machine I do two of each value and will continue doing this over the long term until the bits are used up. Only then will I decide what I am going to do with them and how I am going use them.

               Tonal blocks

And a rather smug PS! When I used to live in Sychdyn, and teach in my workshop at home, I used to host an annual Theatre Clwyd night, which was much enjoyed by the many people who attended. I once asked the ‘powers that be’ at the theatre if I could put on an exhibition there. Their response was no because my work wasn’t art. That hurt a lot! So it is with great pleasure that I have had a piece accepted to hang there from next week and here it is! Perhaps I can believe I am an artist now.

                Sunflowers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment