Sunday 21 February 2016

BLOG 288


BLOG 288

2016 started as my colourful year and I would like to continue with that theme. So for the tesselated quilt, I have chosen to work with batiks and balis because I have a vast collection of them and also because I can drool over the colours as I am using them.  It doesn’t take much to make this gal happy! Now, a tessellation is a repeating pattern of the same shape without any gaps or overlaps and this is the building block that will be repeated throughout the quit.

 

              Building block

I mentioned that it was similar in construcion to the Picket fence block seen below, but in fact it is simpler to constuct as there is only 1 of the 3 rows that is made up of 2 fabrics.

                Picket fence block


I am making blocks which are either light or dark/bright so that there will be a contrast throughout the quilt. For the 4 repeated building blocks you will need to cut a set of strips as follows: 4 at 2 ½” x 6 ½” and 4 at 2 ½” x 4 ½”. Place a set of rectangles beside your sewing machine as shown (a long and short light and a long and short dark).

             Rectangles

 Place the two short fabrics RS together and sew across the corner marked here in pencil. (Always sew this join in the same way each time.)

              RS together

               Sew and trim

 Trim and press both seams in the same direction and place the strip back in sequence.

              In sequence

Sew the long seams and press.

              Wrong side

               Right side


Place the remainder of the light set of fabrics in pattern formation and place a different dark at each of the remaining 3 corners.

                4 placed blocks


String-piece each of the short strips to make a row, and place them back in sequence.

               String piecing

             In situ


Join the strips together to make 4 building blocks and put them back in sequence.

              4 sewn blocks


I am not joining these 4 blocks together yet but I am pinning them on my design wall. At each corner I am pinning the rest of the bright strips that make up the set.

            Development


More next time so have a good week!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment