Sunday 28 February 2016

BLOG 289


BLOG 289
WHIRLIGIG QUILT continued

The building blocks for the quilt need to be cut as a set of strips as follows: 4 at 2 ½” x 6 ½” and 4 at 2 ½” x 4 ½” from one fabric. From a fabric  cut from the bolt, you should get 2 sets from a long quarter metre which is what I was aiming for. Iron the fabric first so that the selveages are lined up and then straighten the long edge which is at right angles to the selveage. Remove the scantest of strips from the selveage. Cut two 2 ½” strips from the long edge. Cut along these strips to give 2 sets. (Remember that the fabric is doubled and you should be able to do 2 x 6 ½” cuts the 2 x 4 ½” cuts.)

            Cut along the strips

              2 Sets

 Here is the block with the light whirligig of colour that I demonstrated last week.

               Last week’s block


It has now been incorporated into the quilt-in-progress and extended. Nothing has been joined together yet; they are stuck in sequence on my design wall.

             Block in sequence


The best thing to do is to prepare many sets of fabric. Mine are divided into light or bright/dark whirligigs. What you always have to remember with this quilt is that there are 4 different fabrics at the corner of each whirligig. I am joining my sets together 2 or 3 at a time and placing them back onto the design wall.

           3 Blocks at a time

              
                Quilt in progress


In order to develop the quilt it helps to have some idea of what fabrics are going to be used where so to that end I am pinning sets where I hope to sew them. 

               Developing the quilt

What could help with fabric placement is a printout of the pattern so you can understand the colour sequence. I  am just feeling my way through this quilt.

             Printout

Looking at what I have done so far, I think I need to add another row to the right hand side, to complete the prominent red, gold and blue shapes. I love what I have done to date; it’s very jolly and colourful which suits me fine!

Aside: I have set up my Husqvarna machine in my studio to sew this quilt and I have found that the foot pedal is light and it annoyingly slips on the floor tiles. To solve this problem I have placed a non-slip mat underneath the foot pedal and it has stabilised the pedal.

             Non-slip mat

No comments:

Post a Comment