Sunday 3 April 2016

BLOG 294


BLOG 294
Hand sewing has been added to the panel I was showing last blog. After doing so much on the machine, I spent a relaxing time in Gresford, chatting to chums and sewing by hand. And it was whilst I was struggling to do a French knot there that I learnt how to do one properly! Thanks to Jennifer.

 
                Detail 1

                Detail 2

 I also started to put together the half-square triangles from the design wall. Easy peasy, thought I! I collected the rows together into piles and labelled the top square. Then I sewed them with my new Husqvarna machine. It was a constant struggle to cross any seam, the machine/foot didn’t like to negotiate the bulk of several layers of fabric and I found myself pulling the fabric through. This in turn caused the joins to distort and slip. And then I had to reverse sew (or unpick) which I hate doing with a passion! Maddening!! I need to rethink the construction of this quilt or use my beloved Bernina!

               Sewing rows

               Labelled rows

             Reverse sewing

PS: I meant to show these pics last blog, after I had spent the day with my machine embroidery chums. What do you do with a pile of sheers, all cut into snippets? You paint a dragon! And what a dragon this will be when it is finished!

               Snippets

                 Painted dragon

And these are thread-painted pansies sewn through plastic bags rather than on a wash-away foundation layer. The plastic is trapped in the flower and gives body and form to the petal. The plastic layer allows the petals to be manipulated, stretched and fluted. (Note to self: give this a try)

              Pansies

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment