Sunday 10 April 2016

BLOG 295


BLOG 295

I had a rethink on the half-square triangle quilt and decided that the best and quickest solution for me was to add a 1” strip between the rows (finished ½”). This meant that I didn’t have the bulk of the 2 sets of triangular points to struggle with under the needle. (Aside: If this had been a competition quilt I would have persevered with trying to attain perfection with my seams but as it is a Linus Quilt, ease and speed are of the essence.)  

Question: What do you do with a bag of scraps?

              Scraps

Answer: You spend hours sorting them out, ironing them straight, cutting them into 1” strips for your project and discarding the left-overs. And then you feel self-righteous for having done just that!

           1” strips

              Joining strip

After I had sewn half the quilt, I was satisfied that the solution was going to work and that the essence of the pattern wasn’t going to be lost with the added line.

                Half completed

So, it was onwards and upwards (or downwards in this instance!) and I sewed until I had joined all the rows to complete the quilt centre. A couple of the squares must have been re-positioned during construction because I have ended up with 2 identical triangles next to one another. Damn!

             Completed centre

Next, an outer border had to be chosen because I didn’t have enough of the joining strip fabric. I found something similar and finished the quilt top.

               Finished top

This has joined the pile of quilt tops that will need quilting in the near future. I think I may have got the triangles out of my system for the time being so now I want to do something creative. Watch this space.

               A pile of tops

2 comments:

  1. lovely quilt Dilys. I have a special fondness for scrappy quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. I too love the look of scrap quilts. And making them certainly helps to reduce the bags of scraps that I have accumulated. And that in turn makes me feel self-righteous!! Dilys

      Delete