Sunday 17 April 2016

BLOG 296


BLOG 296
Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me …… It is a gorgeous day today; the sun is streaming in the windows (reminding me to clean them!), the garden is burgeoning (requiring constant attention) and all’s well with my world. I have even seen a swallow fly past the window just now which is solid confirmation that spring has well and truly sprung! What more could a girl ask?!

 This week, I decided to work on my ‘zippy purses’ for the Quilters’ Guild Tombola stall which will be at the Festival of Quilts in August. Now I have a confession: I rarely put in zips because I don’t know how to and if I can avoid using them, I will. Thankfully though, on the Guild website there are several sets of instructions for different sizes/shapes of purses. I chose one of these and made a prototype by doggedly following the instructions step by step. I was rather proud of the finished sample and realised that I could put in a zip (I now know what that peculiar foot is in my sewing machine box!)

                Prototype

With renewed confidence, I started to consider making others as in ‘mass production’, but then it occurred to me, that there are lots of people doing just that already judging from the website. So I  decided that I would make some which were a little bit more special and what better fabric to use than the one I have been embellishing with thread for the last few weeks (a la Carol Ann Waugh). I have completed 2 long pieces which could make 4 bags.

               Detail 1

            Detail 2

              Detail 3

                 Detail 4

                  Detail 5

The prepared fabric has made the bags very ornate and special in my opinion. I even thought they were worthy of my signature on this occasion! These have been sent via the QG AGM to the reps of the Region running the Tombola. Job done!

               4 zippy purses

 Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me ……..

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to a lovely lady. Hope you have a wonderful birthday.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane.
      I had a lovely meal out with the family and that for me is the best way to spend it.
      I have the Zipwire experience to look forward too! What have I done to deserve that!!
      Dx

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to you. Sun shinong brilliantly Happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to you >Happy birthday to you. Sun SHINING BRILLIANTLY . Happy birthday to you.
    I have given the fancy stitching a try as is my usual I was distracted by giving a performance of "Barnabas" on Sat . It went very well.Happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you (twice) and thanks for the birthday rendition, I appreciated it. Glad to hear that you are giving the decorative stitching a go, it is quick and satisfying to do and can be used in many projects. ?'Performance of Barnabas'? Not sure what you mean.
      Dilys

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete