Sunday 5 June 2016

BLOG 302

BLOG 302

Gresford quilt show is at the very top of my list now and I need to get quilts finished this week and the display items ready. My list reads as follows:
Dilys’s multi-coloured dream quilt (finished and needs sleeve)

Whirligig quilt (now quilted by cheque book, needs collecting, binding and a sleeve)
Sunshine and Shadow (constructed, needs double binding and sleeve)

Lap quilt (finished and needs sleeve)
Thread flower hanging (needs hanging arrangement)

Table runner(barely started! Gulp)

No pressure there then, especially as we are having an overnight stay this week with friends in Abersoch and there is some child-minding at the end of the week. Panic aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

For sewing the seams by hand on the back, I like to work on a lap tray. It takes the weight of the quilt evenly across my lap and by re-arranging the beads in the cushion, it can be set at an angle to suit my sewing style.


                 Lap tray

             Seam detail

After many hours in front of the TV (what a lot of mindless programmes there are!) I have managed to complete the quilt and the best part of this method is that I don’t have to quilt it. That has already been done, hence the name ‘quilt-as--you-go method.

             Front

             Back

As it is a reversible quilt, I wanted to make the binding compatible with each of the quilt sides so I used both of the joining fabrics to make it. I cut a 1” strips for the front and a 1¼”” strip for the back and joined them together along their length.

.              Dual binding

The front binding was sewn onto the RS of the quilt with a ¼” seam.

                Seam allowance

The mitred corners were sewn in the same way as normal by making a tuck on the corner.

                 Mitred corner

The binding is pressed to that the seam that joins both fabrics lies along the very edge of the quilt. The back strip is folded and hand sewn onto the back. The corners will have a mitre on both sides. And that reminds me that I need to go and sew them!!!!!

                Front mitre

               Back mitre

 

3 comments:

  1. Never mind Dilys you can always have a rest when you are stewarding at the Exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Jayne.
    I shall welcome the start of the show when I will hopefully have done all that needs doing. I need pressure and that's just what I have got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative and interesting post. It is really a big help. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
    double quilt cover

    ReplyDelete